Sister Preston has been called to serve as a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
in the Ohio Columbus Mission. She will serve from March 2014 through September 2015. Follow her service here.

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

I realized that there was another set of footprints in the snow


Every Wednesday we have a Zone Training meeting and this week we met at the institute at OSU. We had a great training about Finding by the Spirit and having companionship's that are in unity. It's incredible how inspired our leaders are. A lot of the questions that I had were answered at that meeting.
We went to visit a lady whom missionaries have met in the area previously, and she wasn't home. So we contacted the street that she lives on. At 3 that day we went out to lunch with a 70 year old Muslim lady. We go by her home a couple times a week to clean her home. She is the kindest lady I know. She took us to a yummy restaurant called "Max and Irma's". The sweet lady that took us was so happy about spending time with us. She told us about her week and how her doctors appointments went. All the while we started chatting with a chap named Lincoln. He told us about his family, and even about what he believes in. He goes to a Baptist Church. Boy does he love our Lord!! He told me a book that I should read when I go home. I had been talking to everyone about the Gospel, and our little friend told me " You're on one!" It was so funny!! I wish everyone could meet her. She is like my grandma. After we ate lunch as we were driving back she asked us if we could go to the store for a minute. A wee bit naïve we were to think that it would only take us 10 minutes. We were there for 30. As we were looking around waiting for our friend to get her medications we talked to a very nice college-aged girl about her beliefs. She mentioned to us that she goes to one of the popular Catholic Church's in town. We talked to her about the Restored Gospel and asked her when we could see her again. She was a bit hesitant, but ultimately she told us what her work schedule is like and invited us to see her.
After we talked to this kind girl, our elderly friend dropped us off at our home and we zipped off to see a former investigator. The Lord was looking out for us, and for her. As were pulled up to our next appointment's neighborhood she pulled up, and we prayed that the member whom we had asked to come with us would be there quickly. It ended up working out quite well. We gave this former investigator another copy of the Book of Mormon so that her boys could share and invited her to the Missionary Musical Fireside for Easter. I am so grateful that we had a member with us. We had been very frazzled as to how we could help this investigator get to church, and "BAM!!" We have one to not only fellowship, but to help this kind lady get to church!!
The rest of the evening was wonderful. I have had the blessed opportunity to  watch my dear companion Sister Farmer grow. She is out of her little bubble, and into a new one that is filled with infinite potential. She see's it, and oh what a beautiful view it is!! That evening we met with our dear friend. We have been helping her our with her photo books and what not over the past couple of weeks. She has made a big dent!! Tonight we had a great sit down lesson with her. We took a member with us who is wonderful with people. We asked Christine if she believes that Joseph Smith is a Prophet. She pondered that question for a moment and said "Yes. Yes I believe that he is a Prophet of God." The Spirit was incredibly strong - and I almost burst out in tears. After a few sacred moments we extended baptism to her. She declined kindly and told us that she isn't quite ready. I have so much faith in her. I have so much faith in the Lord that in His glorious time He will guide her to the waters of Baptism. I know that if I stay in Powell another transfer that it'll be for her.  
On Thursday we did a bit of Family History. It's taken me a LONG time to get the feel for it, but I now like doing it whenever we can. The Church has made it super easy, and super fun!! On the days that we do Family History, I usually watch 'Joseph Smith: The Prophet of the Restoration.' The Spirit of Elijah mixed with the powerful witness of Joseph always makes me cry. I know that he is a Prophet of God. I know that he did a great work for our Lord. I am so grateful for the Priesthood power that has been Restored to this earth.
The ward is phenomenal with there ward mission plan. One of the things that we are doing to help the members out with their missionary work is by going to each home to teach the Restoration. We went to a members home that morning to teach them. It's interesting how different each lesson is. This member needed to know that she is appreciated, and that the programs that our Gospel has for both social and spiritual are for her, and everyone else who needs a wee brake from there life.
About once a week we have been volunteering at an Assisted living place. All of the elderly there love us. And we love them!! We had a tea party with them and talked to them about there fondest memories. I've learned a lot from them. We have gotten fairly close with one of the ladies that is in charge of the activities. She is so kind to us. We talked to her about the Gospel at the end of this activity. She told us some of the concerns that she has and we listened. We offered to give her a tour of our Chapel. She said that she's think about and talk about it with her husband. I pray that it all works out according to the Lord's will.
We have been visiting this little boy since I've been here. He's one of my favorites. We play games with him and help him out with his speech. He has Autism. You wouldn't know it if you were to talk to him. That day his grandma and his cousin were there. It was so nice to meet them. They have been asking a few questions here and there about the church. Which is a huge blessing!!
I'm going to fast forward to Sunday. This past Sunday it snowed a lot! We had about 6 inches of snow.. or more. It was a lot. And it was heavy. It was also fast Sunday. At church we heard some of the most beautiful testimonies that were borne. My dear friend bore her testimony about the Atonement. Seeing her cry, made me cry. She is so happy. This Gospel has brought her so much joy and peace. This little 9 year old bore his testimony on the Holy Ghost and the Book of Mormon. There was not a dry eye in the room. We were Spiritually fed that afternoon.
We have been shovel contacting a lot since there is snow. I was a little worried about shoveling when we hadn't eaten any food. I know that it was the Spirit that directed us to do so. We shoveled a HUGE driveway. The whole while I was humming some of my favorite hymns and thinking about some of my favorite versus in the Book of Mormon. There is such a special Spirit that is felt when we serve with all of our hearts, and all of our minds, and literally with all of our strength. I kept looking back at the snow and I noticed that there were my footprints and Sister Farmer's footprints in the snow. I felt this overwhelming feeling when I realized that there was another set in snow. They were the footprints of our Savior. I know that He is with me at every step of this work. These thoughts have carried with me into today. I know that He is with all of us as we go about doing good. Following Him helps us to know who Father is. I don't know where I'll go in a few days or even if I stay here. But I do know that our Savior is directing this work. He is so aware of all of our worries and strengths. The Book of Mormon is laced with His doctrine and His teachings. In His time we shall see everyone cry "Hosanna, Hosanna! Blessed be the name of our God!!" I love all of you and I pray that you are finding success. :)
 
Love,
Sister Preston     


No comments:

Post a Comment